Saturday, May 17, 2008

18 years ago to the day


seems hard to believe, but my dad's been gone 18 years. how could that be? i remember him commenting at various times during the year about anniversaries like this: d-day, vj-day, his mother and father's birth and death days. all seemed quite distant and benign at the time and now i wish i would have known enough to pay more attention. many things i would love to ask him or talk to him about, but i think about the little things and that keeps him with me. he had this wit about him that was so silly and goofy and we would tease him about it...but alas, i find myself doing and saying similar things to endear people to me. how does that happen?! i think it's funny...i can hear his voice as i quip about something or play with a student. i can even feel his smile and see his eyes from behind mine. so many things remind me of him, still, and as i grow older, i realize that even in 21 years of life, i had been even more greatly influenced, and affected by him than i ever realized. i'm very fortunate. love, j

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your father sounds like an amazing man. I am sorry he was taken so soon. You favor him. I can see it in the picture. I will be thinking about you today.

Love,

Mick

Anonymous said...

it is funny how mom and dad both "show up" at different times. I'm happy they come to visit! Nature and nurture both have their hand in it. I see things, feel things and hear things all the time. Hope they visit you soon!
Love, Sue

Anonymous said...

Dear Janice,
I think your dad did an amazing job loving you. I think he was a sweet darling man with so much love and humor to give. I only wish I had such memories of my dad. I spend so many days wishing he could have seen me in so many stages of my life, and wishing that I just once could have asked him anything. Keep all of the memories close to heart and mind, write down everything you remember about him, his funny comments, his advice, his laugh, his favorite flavor of ice cream, how he smelled, what he enjoyed most about life. All of those things we take for granted in our lives. All of the little things, that make a person who they are. That is what is most important. Those things can never be repeated in the same way that he did them. My wish for you today is that you are able to find freedom in knowing that he is/was one of the most influential people in your life and you are living a life he would celebrate. I know you are, because you are being true to your heart and your spirit. Dance with him when you see him or feel him near. None of us ever get enough dances with our parents. I love and miss you very much!

Adeline said...

Janice, Just a few words about your Dad. We always loved the guy, and did not know until his funeral service how very many people he touched. I remember the monkey wrench! Whenever we are out walking, and find a beer or pop can, we pick it up "for Vic." I have a small blue strawberry pot that your Mom and Dad had for sale at a garage sale before they moved. He would not sell it to me; he insisted I would remember him if he gave it to me. "To remember us." And so I do, and so it is planted every year since and placed on my porch or in the garden. He touched our hearts, a gentle sweet man. We are lucky to have known him. The memories of my own Dad are far different, and even that difficult man is remembered fondly--at times! Enjoying your blog tremedously and intend to read every word. I should say I like it berry berry much. Adeline