Saturday, May 16, 2009
heavy hearted
the only time i wish i wasn't living overseas is when there's a sad turn of events back home. i can handle being here for birthdays, parties, celebrations and fun kinds of events much more easily than the difficult times. there's always a trade off, ya know? yes, it's hard to miss the good times and see friends and to watch their kids grow, but it's when one of them is suffering that i feel the biggest yearning to be stateside. perhaps this is because of my own loss and knowing what that feels like, but to me, during hardships is when you learn the most about yourself and it's when people get real. my close friend kim's father just passed away and i found out from a generic mass email. if i was home, i would have been there and i don't like the fact that i'm not... my parents were both fairly young when they died, and i was the first of most of my friends to be orphaned, but now the rest of my friends' parents are starting to slowly go and it's a devestating time when that happens... several other friends have lost parents during my time in nepal and there's such a disconnect due to the time difference and distance. if this would have happened this time next month, when i'm out of school, i would seriously consider going home. i just can't though, now with the end of the school year upon me. i guess you take the good with the bad, but today i feel like being in kathmandu is NOT "what i really, really wanna do..." please say a prayer for my friend kim, her mom and her family...all my love, buddy! i'm with you in spirit. XOXO, j
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sending you a long distance hug.
james
I am truly sorry to hear about Kim's father's passing. It's never easy to lose anyone you LOVE ....gosh losing a parent ...I can't even fathom. I know my mom is in need of a kidney ...and I am not a match... I guess it hasn't hit me yet since my mom isn't on dialysis but she is very close. I have a few years with her until the worst of her disease consumes her...I just hope we get her a kidney in time. I am saying prayers for Kim and her family. Wish you were home!! Big hugs!!!
With love,
Mick
Janice please send me Kims email and address.
Ultimately in life, the decisions we make will usually leave a sting somewhere. it's just a part of living. Kim knows you love her and she also knows that you would come if you could. There is no doubt there. You havea unique way of comforting people just with your soft kind voice and the loving emails you send. Skype her, and be available. That's more than some do who live down the street my dear.
Love and miss you, cant wait to have you back!
What a unique and rich relationship Kim had with her dad...and still does, of course. They were so richly intertwined... family and coworkers, dad and daughter.
I would also like to contact Kim. Although we've met so many times, I always think of her 'senior picture' persona with the unibrow and curls. Still gorgeous after all these years.
I'm sorry for your sense of distance and frustration, dear friend, wanting so much to be with her, and with the other friends who will gather to support her.
Nepal, the land whose pulse teaches us we are all one. You know how to blow soft winds of support her way. And they are coming to you, from me, and from the universe.
Linda
Post a Comment