Tuesday, August 19, 2008

life at lincoln

the view out my window
 school grounds


my classroom under the upper-middle corner


everything's going really well, so far, at lincoln and i am enjoying the whole experience. students are from all over the world and speak a plethora of languages. most speak at least 3...except for the americans...they speak one. there is an assortment of after-school activities for both kids and employees. on wednesdays i play soccer with the staff (i'm the only woman and they refer to me as "ma'am") and thursdays i'll be taking 4th and 5th grade girls for some soccer practice. it was yesterday, though, that got me thinking...there are aerobics on mondays and wednesdays for staff. one of the teachers is the instructor. we all meet in the multi-purpose room that has lemon yellow walls, tons of ceiling fans, big open windows along an entire side, ac,  wooden floors and sound panels on the walls. there are hand weights, hula hoops, large floor mats, stackable steps and a boomin stereo system with surround sound. where are we???! i don't do aerobics in the states, but there i was doin cardio with chaka khan, hula hoopin to donna summer and steppin to stevie wonder. surreal! at one point i couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. NOT what i thought i'd be doing in nepal!! but, i'd like to thank all of you tax payers for providing such a cushy environment for the lincoln school people. i'm sure you want me to be comfortable... what's happenin with you?! lots of love, j

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great experience for you! I had to laugh picturing you hoola hooping! HA! :o)I am gonna send you Richard Simon's shorts!!! LOL

I thought about you yesterday as we lost our 4th soccer game. Sherrie is an amazing player and brought another great girl to play with us. We lost by 1 pt. Their goalie was awesome! Ann scored a point! WAHHOO BABY! I did some great defense. It was hot in the gym and I got sick so I had to sit out most of the second half.

All is well here in the States. Can't wait to see you in Dec. Ann and I are up in the air about traveling to MX. I need a vacation and I need one BAD! I just need an escape. Sigh so much going on. I will blog about it later.

Gotta run! Tonight is Ann's white coat ceremony! She's got this time! I am so proud of her.

Love,

Mick

Anonymous said...

How do you concentrate on teaching with that view right out your window???
see you soon
Karen

Anonymous said...

Lol I can just see you doing aerobics, maybe you need some leg warmers to go with your Richard Simmons shorts? Your place looks lovely, very bermuda-y
I miss you J!